Mold spores will not grow without the presence of moisture. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture. If there is mold growth in your indoor environment, you can conduct mould testing, then clean up the mold and eliminate the moisture source. If you clean up the mold then ignore the water problem, the mold problem will return. Molds or mould spores are not usually a problem indoors, unless exposed to moisture or dampness and begin growing. Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.
There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture. Mold testing has the potential to help avoid health problems, produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).
Mold testing should be conducted by experienced professionals who have specific training in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods, and interpreting results. Sample analysis should follow analytical methods recommended by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA).